Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 I Remember

As I sit here thinking, it's been nine years since it happened. Things changed on that day. A lot of us were scared, stunned and shocked about the event that happened. Where was I? Well that's a story and a half.

September 11th 2001, 9AM approximately. I was up visiting my father and his girlfriend. I had been up there for a couple days already relaxing and enjoying some vacation time that I was long over due. That morning we were sitting down to breakfast listening to the radio. Half way through our morning meal an announcer came over with a breaking news flash that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. No details at the time. Just the basic information. Me with my knowledge of planes and flying, thought it was a small plane and an accident.

I finished my meal and went into the living room to turn on the t.v. to get an update to the story. Boy, what an update I got. Just after I tuned into a news station, seeing the smoke billowing from the first building hit, I saw the second plane fly into the other tower. I was riveted to the couch and didn't move for the rest of the morning. My father and his girlfriend moved in and out of the living room while I sat there glued to the t.v. watching the horror that was being perpetrated upon the United States of America.

I saw both towers fall. I remember the panic and all the fear coming from the talking heads. Tales of missing flights, unreported crashes, it was insanity. Pictures from the Pentagon from the plane hitting the outermost ring. I found myself wrapped in a comforter because I was cold. the day was gorgeous out. A balmy 22 degrees celsius for the time of year and location. I had to curl up in a blanket because I was cold. Thinking back now, I was undergoing shock.

I watched as different nations spoke up and said their piece. I remember seeing a clip on CNN of Palestinians dancing in the street and cheering. I seethed at that. The calls of sympathy and nations standing with the U.S.A. though assauged my soul. Still, I cried. I cried for the lost souls in the WTC, the planes, and all those that also died that day.

The airways were shut down over North America. Funny, the quiet, and empty skies were something to see. No contrails, no sounds of jets. Nothing. North America was quiet in mourning.

There is so much that has changed since that day. I stood up and started learning and paying attention. I will admit that I have gone down some wrong roads. I was almost a Troofer(some one that believes that 9/11 was a conspiracy of the U.S. government), but I managed to avoid a cranial rectal inversion. I learned about our enemies. Or I should say, I relearned. They are out there waiting for us to go back to sleep.

I just have one thing to say. REMEMBER!!! NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE!!!

Watch, listen, remember.....


UPDATE:

These are the people that celebrated....

3 comments:

  1. I was at work, in S. Africa, when I got a call to turn on the TV. To say I was stunned is a understatement. I went from disbelief to PISSED in about 10 minutes. I knew this was not an accident and was a planned attack against the US. The TV stayed on 24/7 for over 3 weeks.

    I will NEVER FORGET and NEVER FORGIVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and very moving, NEVER FORGET!!
    melinwy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also key for future generations is to distinguish this from a 'disaster' or 'tragedy'. The towers did not collapse in a stiff breeze, that wasn't a ruptured gas main at the pentagon and Flight 93 didn't run out of fuel....these were calculated acts of mass murder carried out and for people to use fuzzy, ambiguous terms like 'tragedy' or 'disaster' is to continually undermine what happened that day.

    ReplyDelete