Monday, October 25, 2010

Good News!!!

Two good news stories today. First off:

Toronto 18 ringleader gets 16 years in prison
By Linda Nguyen

BRAMPTON, Ont. — The ringleader of the Toronto 18 terrorist group has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for masterminding plans to storm Parliament and to detonate bombs in and around Toronto, a judge ruled Monday morning.

Fahim Ahmad will serve a total of eight years, three months because of time already served.

Ahmad pleaded guilty in May to participating in a terrorist group, importing firearms and instructing others to carry out activities for the benefit of a terrorist group.

The group, known as the Toronto 18 because of the number of its members, was dismantled in 2006.

Evidence has shown that Ahmad arranged terrorist training camps, created propaganda videos and helped the group acquire weapons.

Last month, in a rambling, six-page letter to the court, Ahmad said he had fallen into a “fantasy world” when he plotted to devastate Canadian infrastructure with a series of attacks.

Ahmad also placed the blame on a host of external sources, from his parents, to religious leaders, to anonymous people he met online.

Ahmad, who has been in custody since June 2006, faced a maximum sentence of life in prison.

He is eligible for parole in three years, 6 1/2 months.

The Crown had for an 18-year jail term, citing mitigating factors, such as his youth and apparent remorse.

The defence had asked for a sentence of 10 to 12 years, with lawyer Dennis Edney painting his client as a self-aggrandizing talker who lacked both the means and the will power to carry out his scheme.


Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/25/toronto-18-ringleader-gets-16-years-in-prison/#ixzz13O6zkDYf

Unfortunately with the whole time served mess that most judges go with, he will only serve maximum 8 years in federal prison.

Now the next good news story:

Khadr pleads guilty to all charges.

Jane Sutton and Janice Tibbets, Postmedia News with files from Reuters · Monday, Oct. 25, 2010

GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE, Cuba — Canadian terrorist Omar Khadr pleaded guilty on Monday to all five charges against him in the U.S. war crimes tribunal at the Guantanamo Bay naval base in a deal that could send him back to Canada to serve the rest of his sentence in a year.

Khadr, who was captured in Afghanistan at age 15 and is now 24, admitted he conspired with al-Qaeda and killed a U.S. soldier with a grenade in Afghanistan.

Terms of the Toronto native’s plea deal were not immediately disclosed, but lawyers had reportedly discussed an eight-year cap on his total sentence.

The United States agreed to support Khadr’s request to return to Canada in one year to serve the rest of his sentence there, Khadr’s lawyers told the court.

They said U.S. and Canadian officials had exchanged diplomatic notes, but that his return would ultimately be up to the Canadian government.

Vancouver lawyer John Conroy, who specializes in offender transfers, said that Khadr cannot officially apply for a transfer to Canada until after he is sentenced. The federal government then would have to show that Khadr is a “threat to the security of Canada” to deny him a transfer to a Canadian prison once it has been approved by the United States.[SNIP]


Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Khadr+pleads+guilty+charges/3721789/story.html#ixzz13O7d1fsh

So that's two terrorists now. Of course the blame game will start up with both guilty parties throwing around accusations that they were led astray by other people. Or that they aren't really guilty of the charges. In the case of Khadr, I hope the Federal Government says, "nope, don't want him, you keep him."

No comments:

Post a Comment