Monday, July 25, 2011

Protest at the TDSB Steps

Okay, I got busy after work and headed up to the HQ of the TDSB for a protest.  Oh, TDSB is the Toronto District School Board for those of you just checking in now.  Okay, we were protesting at a school board.  Why?  Well lots of reasons.  The cause d'jour is the coming to light of the turning a cafeteria into a mosque for afternoon prayers.  During school hours, with the permission of the school board and the school.  I know some people say "What's the big deal?"   Lots of reasons why it's a big deal actually.  Mainly it's a separation of church and state, pandering to one specific religion over others, time away from class, and so on. Trust me, my last post touched on this a bit and Blazing Cat Fur has been tracking this story down and finding out even more cases then the one school.  Check out his blog for updates, and I will be providing links to some of the jucier bits of story.

TDSB Protest

So, a protest.  Who was all there?  Well the JDL (Jewish Defence League), CHP (Christian Heritage Party), and the Canadian Hindu Advocacy .  A very diverse group of organizations.

So I got there just as things were starting up.  People were on the steps with signs against prayer, and muslim prayer in schools.  There was even an atheist affiliated with no one.  I wandered the crowd and took pictures as I saw fit.
TDSB Protest
TDSB ProtestTDSB Protest
TDSB Protest
TDSB ProtestTDSB Protest

The media presence was huge.  I mean all the national and local T.V. stations had reporters and trucks there.

TDSB Protest
TDSB Protest

I also saw a few media photographers and what appeared to be print journalists in the crowd as well.

There were also a few people there protesting for the prayers in school.  Two young girls with several signs showing their support. 
TDSB Protest
TDSB ProtestTDSB Protest
TDSB Protest

They were very vocal at one point and got into a long running argument with some of the other protesters.  Needless to say a scrum was formed around them and the police presence moved in just in case, along with the media sensing a possible altercation for their broadcast.
TDSB Protest
TDSB ProtestTDSB Protest
TDSB Protest

Me Cynical?   Nah....

there were a few others around as well.  One guy got into a heated debate and called the JDL a terrorist organization according to the F.B.I. in the United States.  News flash buddy, this is Canada.  I do remember hearing him call one of his "debate" opponents a Kufir (arabic for unbeliever).  Of course he got interviewed as well.  The media must have both sides after all.
TDSB Protest
TDSB ProtestTDSB Protest
TDSB Protest

Lots of stuff going on and a lot of speeches were made. It was a good turn out with about 100 people showing up against the TDSB. From my count there were about 5 or 6 people that were counter protesting us. Oh, and one good natured moonbat hippy with her banner of blessing and healing. Harmless and good natured.

TDSB Protest
TDSB Protest

Meir Weinstein got interviewed as well. I hope his message gets out there. All the other groups as well made a good appearance. I just hope that the TDSB listens to us the people. I am not counting on it though.

TDSB Protest

TDSB Protest

Remember, check out Blazing Cat Fur for more details and his take of the protest. He was shooting video and interviews of protesters and counter protesters.

3 comments:

  1. What happened was this. One of the protestors told the Muslim in the orange shirt, "I'm a proud kaffir". The Muslim laughed and said, "A proud kaffir? Okay, whatever." You've conveniently turned that into propaganda about a Muslim calling a non-Muslim a kaffir.

    It seems the extreme right-wing fringe Christians rarely care for the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, thanks for that info. I was behind walking up when I heard the second part. I couldn't be everywhere at once. Besides the guy in the orange shirt seemed to be going out of his way to provoke and antagonize people. You can forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW...you are correct about JDL Canada, of course. Thank you for standing with them!

    I must also point out that JDL Canada is not associated with JDL in the US that the FBI labeled as a terrorist group.

    ReplyDelete